European Accessibility Act
Act EU 2019/882 was passed in 2019 and will be enforced from 2022 onwards.
While current European legislation only covers the digital services of public sector bodies, the new act will have a broader reach in both the public and private sectors.
Some of the products and services covered by this act include:
- Computers and operating systems
- ATMs, ticketing and check-in machines
- TV equipment related to digital television services
- Telephony services and related equipment
- Access to audio-visual media services such as television broadcast and related consumer equipment
- Services related to air, bus, rail, and waterborne passenger transport
- Banking services
Needless to say, this will result in an enormous demand for developing and upgrading the accessibility of digital services across the EU and beyond.
- Act EU 2019/882 on EUR-Lex (2019)
- European Accessibility Act on the European Commission website
- Our analysis of the European Accessibility Act by the European Disability Forum (2019)